You want lighter fare? Eat a salad. I'm kidding. But I do get the privilege of the last word here, since it's my 'aus. : )
The two questions posed by Kevin are the most popular predicaments posed by pro-choice advocates. And they are almost completely irrelevant to the larger issue. Advocates purposefully throw those questions out to the public to distract and confuse our moral compasses. The reason why I say they are not relevant to the larger issue is because those situations happen so incredibly infrequently that they have little bearing on society at large. But no one ever mentions that, because it makes us seem compassionless and cruel.
It's artificial compassion--twisting a genuine concern over genuine dilemma into generalized compassion for a broader group of people. It's a similar argument to legalizing marijuana so that people can use it for genuine medical reasons, when in reality a very small number of people need it for medical reasons, and most people want to use it recreationally. Advocates for abortion use those situations the way the nightly news has made us afraid to walk city streets at night for fear of being shot, or that Jaws (with the help of the nightly news, coincidentally) has made us afraid to go into the water for fear of being eaten. It just doesn't happen like that--not nearly as often as we're led to believe. Not that it never happens, but if those scenarios were the real issue, then we'd be legislating (or counter-legislating) for those issues, not for abortion rights as a whole. It's not the content that concerns me. It's the motivation and intention.
Issue 2. I believe that morality can be legislated. That is, afterall, the sole purpose of legislation: to determine what behaviors we consider immoral and moral, and to determine consequences for performing those immoral behaviors. Heck, even God established His definition of morality by codifying it. I will agree, however, that you can't force anyone to behave morally, which I think is what Sarah was getting at. Which means that legislation is not the total answer to the problem (think, "Prohibition"), which brings us back to the questions of sin and what causes change in a person. I'm pissed because we get so pissed over the wrong issues, pretending to talk about things when we mean something else.
No comments:
Post a Comment