I am greatly fighting the urge to both glorify and degrade myself for the show on Saturday. I played well and sang well. Not great, but really good. I really like being good at this. I feel awkward for saying that, like it's not something that's supposed to be said. Art/entertainment is such a weird mix of ego/humility. A posting on continuums is coming soon. Kevin made my songs much better with his cello playing. So says I.
Kevin and I opened the show with 4 originals and 2 covers, then I finished with one more original. Then, we all freaked out because we couldn't get the keytar (yes, keytar. straight from the 80's) working for Aaron's show. After 10 minutes, it was up and working--none of knew anything about ancient midi controllers--and Aaron's show was moving. He played almost all original stuff. I played Casio keyboard drums, Kevin was on keytar, Geoff played bass, and Aaron did his thang with the guitar, Omnichord, and singing. Good times. It was an odd and sometimes loose show, but what can you expect from 2 practices and unfamiliar instruments? All in all, a bang-up show. Much thanks to all who came out.
Brooke--I admit that I baited you with the JT thing, more than most. But I'm glad you bit. Only now, damn it all, I have to rethink my prejudices against JT. [see "Splain it..." and subsequent comments] I hate it when that happens. Thanks a lot. Truth be told (read: pretentiousness revealed), I don't like his art/entertainment...probably because he's more famouser and a better dancer than me. Pill swallowed. If there was some benign and unweighted way in which I could listen to his album, I would do it. But I seem to have made such a fuss over this. I wish I wasn't such an opinionated moron when it came to music...or most things, for that matter.
ps: I'm a moron because my opinions are held to tightly and sometimes ignorantly, not because they aren't viable. I hope.
2 comments:
The show was, in fact, great. Just outstanding.
It was the kind of show that made me want to go home and write five songs. All at once. I didn't, but I wanted to. And that makes for a good show.
Ben, consider yourself concurred.
I told everyone we ran into afterwards how great it was. It was the kind of show that made me want to go home and join a ba...wait...that's an idea.
Pat, my drums are in Athens (in my roommate's parents' basement); all they need is a new home.
Post a Comment