I was just thinking that we like to eat things that taste good, even if they aren't good for us. Lots of creamy sauces on our entrees (or burritos or calzones in my recent case), rich chocolate desserts, salty foods. When making decisions, eating what tastes good is easier than if it is good for us. We can always go on a temporary diet if we need to, later, to compensate for eating these tasty things now. Marketers know what we're attracted to, and so make foods that appeal to those desires. This just makes it harder to choose a healthier diet.
Maybe we do this with our entertainment too. We eat what tastes good, until we're more than full, without thinking much about how or if it affects us in the long run. After all, nobody develops diabetes or heart disease after one day of eating rich foods, and again, our entertainment is just so...entertaining. And there's so much entertainment out there for us to eat.
Maybe we do this with faith too. We like to eat the bits that taste good, pushing the stuff that might be healthier for us to the other side of the plate. Ignoring the peas and the spinach. Can you get fat and out-of-shape eating only the parts of faith that taste good? I wonder what that looks like.
And of course you can substitute "I" for "we" in all of that above. :) I always feel the press of culture as we push together in certain unintentional directions, and I am just another in that throng.
2 comments:
Mmmm... rich chocolate desserts.
You still have one in the fridge. You should eat it.
Post a Comment