This post is inspired by Avant Game's own Gameplay Resume. You should write and post your own as well!
Childhood: 1977-1989: Emerging imagination
--Being smaller than my peers and having two younger brothers reinforces my interest in imaginative rather than athletic games
--Pong, against myself on a B/W television stored in a bedroom closet
--Games revolve around fantasy settings, identities, and the construction of bases, vehicles, weapons, and/or tools out of blankets, tents, Construx, Legos, and any common household items
Lessons learned: Anything can become a game anywhere with anyone. You can't be too old to play. Also, younger brothers can be swayed to play games the way you want to play them.
Early Teen Years: 1990-1992: Introductions
--Thumb blisters after all-night NES at friends': Contra, Mega Man, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, TMNT, TMNT2
--Strategy Board Games: youth pastor Dan S teaches then crushes me in RISK and a Civil War battle sim with little cardboard chit pieces.
Lessons learned: sleeping is unnecessary. Losing can be fun if the environment is right. Gameplay is often a powerful reinforcer.
Late Teen Years: 1993-1995: RPGs
--Video: Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun
--Pen & Paper: player or Game Master for Star Wars RPG campaigns
Lessons learned: imagination and creativity are to be prized. Teamwork is often best. Fantasy settings provide a more comfortable place for people to explore and practice social skills, both in the fantasy world and in the gaming circle.
College: 1995-2000: Social Gaming
--Large group games: Mafia, Assassins (aka Werewolf), Bigger and Better (aka the Paperclip Game), town-wide scavenger hunt
Lessons learned: I'm more comfortable in large groups than I thought. People (even most strangers) are nicer than perceived. The world can be a playground for adults too. Strangers will sometimes trade a working vaccuum cleaner for a votive candle.
Young Adulthood: 2000-present: Board Game Glory
--A rediscovery of table-top gaming: Formula De, Twilight Imperium, War of the Ring, Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Samurai, Ticket to Ride, Shadows over Camelot, Carcassonne
--Creation of my own games: Liege Lords and the tentatively titled Escape, both coming soon to a nerd store near you :)
Lessons learned: good friends can be found unexpectedly. Game design is fun, stimulating, fulfilling, and refreshing. Also, I have "shifty eyes".
3 comments:
Oh SNAP!
We would've been best friends in the Final Fantasy III / Shadowrun years.
Just like we would have been best friends if you hadn't have kicked me out of the band and stolen my drumset (which I apologize deeply for leaving in your house).
Don't worry about it. I sold them. You can ask Ben for your money, as I hear he still hasn't given you the money he was given to courier to you.
I'm sorry you moved to Columbus areaish. You were my favorite band member. (Don't tell the others, I told them the same thing.)
Also, I didn't sell your drums. They can stay as long as you like, or until I say so, which ever comes first. Also, I get jealous (for real) when I see/hear how good of pals you are with Bennison.
Let's just say Ben and I were friends back in the Mario 2 days, and if you've never seen him defeat Wart, I wonder whether you can you truly know him?
Post a Comment