Monday, September 27, 2004

Mouthing Off

I was going to say that Napoleon Dynamite was one of my top five favorite movies of all time. Seriously. That was when I believed that it was a small, indie film that was made by folks who actually lived a similar life and were making a movie to comemorate the truths of being a nerd/dork/dweeb. I had friends like that. I was like that.

See, I missed the first few minutes of the movie. Like when it rolls across that it's an MTV movie, which a friend told me later.

Now I am very confused because I want to believe that it is still pure and good, but I have an itch in my mind telling me that it is corrupt corporate-pop-fluff being directly targeted at me by The Man himself. Whereas before I believed it was an honestly quirky movie, thereby allowing me to forgive and appreciate its faults, I now have a gnawing suspicion that its Wes Anderson-ness is a deliberate marketing ploy.

What am I to do? Someone help me. Inform me. Brooke, if anyone knows the truth, you do. Do I pummel or do I embrace?

I know, I know, "Stop worrying."
"Just let it go."
"It's only a movie."
I'm a nerd--it doesn't work that way.

There's always the hope that The Man funded the movie, but kept its grubbers off of it. I've heard that sometimes that almost rarely happens on infrequent occasions.

PS (and a total aside): Why is The Man still masculine? Shouldn't there be some kind of PC lawsuit or something to change it to The Woman every other reference? Or to some androgenous term, like The Person?

1 comment:

Seth said...

Man, I always hate it when I get oppressed by The Person.