I'm not sure that I've ever felt that feeling before yesterday afternoon. Probably--my memory is horrible. Regardless, I went to an interview at 2pm yesterday and walked out with a job! And a decent job too. When I was thinking of leaving my old job, there were only two jobs in the social services field that I was still interested in doing: desk work or "prevention." And I wasn't even sure that "prevention" existed, but it seemed like the kind of thing that would exist in the sw world. (sw=social work; SW=Star Wars)
Turns out that it does exist, and that I will be doing it for our local drug/alcohol treatment organization. I'll be in charge of running two programs: one in-school program that teaches 4th/5th graders about how to make good choices and not abuse substances, and one with families, teaching them principles of good communication.
I start on Monday. Can anyone give me a solid definition of what "business casual" actually means, in practical terms?
Oddly enough, I just got a call a few minutes ago from the last place I interviewed (the one I was going to turn down regardless), and they wanted me to come in later today to meet the rest of the team. That makes me feel good, because I was starting to think the interview didn't go as well as I had thought after all. There is a certain satisfaction in being able to turn down a job because I already have a job! (And a certain satisfaction in knowing that the two jobs pay the same and have similar benefits, but one will be enjoyable for me and the other might have broken me in half over the long term.)
If you haven't already, check out the previous post/comments about money. That's where all the hot action is. Speak thy mind in full flagrance. And we shalt respect thee more for it.
15 comments:
Congratulations! Finding a job that you can really sink your teeth into and enjoy makes all the difference. Sounds like a good fit and a great way to make an impact.
As for dress casual, that's a bit tough. Khakis, nice jeans, button up shirts? I'm still trying to figure out what it means, too!
Tiff
Yay for Patrick! Your new job sounds fun and challenging.
"Business casual"? I would say khakis and nice buttoned down shirts. (okay what Tiff said). But I also think that sweaters work too.
Lyndsey
Khaki pants and they should be neatly pressed, and an ironed or at least "thrown in the dryer for a few minutes with a wet sock and a dryer sheet" long-sleeved, buttoned solid shirts are good. Courdouroys are ok on fridays when you are in the office.
Anytime you are in the field, in this case, schools and meetings, you have to tuck in your shirt. Polo shirts, unwrinkled are ok if you're in the office that day or it is VERY hot out.
Shoes / belt:
Leather belt and leather shoes. No canvas/tennis/or trendy shoes.
Facial hair: Patrick, you can't not shave. Unless you are growing a beard for real.
A tie is not necessary but you would do well to wear one for "important" meeting days.
Crap! I have to buy new clothes. My only pair of khakis are pleated, tapered, and cuffed. (Think: 1996) Ick. Thankfully, my boots double as dress-type shoes. I've been shaving for interviews, and sadly, I think it might need to continue. Shaving burns and itches, as any grown adult will tell you. Even sadder: I can't grow a full beard.
In short, business casual means "dress like a prep." Dang, I had an image to uphold.
Sarah didn't say that junk up there, I did. It would be funnier if she did though.
It IS sad that I can't grow a full beard. (Or maybe fortunate.)
I can, however, grow a unibrow at will, as well as a 'stache that would make any 14-year-old boy proud.
Speaking of eyebrow waxing, Jessi, here I could use some expert advice. I always pluck because I am afraid of uneven waxing.
I think we should discuss this in detail on Patrick's blog. It seems an appropriate forum.
-- Really Sarah
Business Casual...more info than you wanted to know.
http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/BusCasual.htm
Congratulations. We can celebrate by you taking ME out to lunch! Seriously, way to go.
Sarah...if you start a discussion on waxing on this blog I'm out of here. And you wouldn't look good in a full beard.
Well, Ellen has a point... I must respect my loyalties. So, breathe a sigh of relief, Paul -- no waxing here.
Did Patrick get a job?
comedy. this is all pure comedy...
Eyebrow waxing is best done by a professional. Do not try this at home, as you will likely burn yourself, irritate your skin (resulting in pussy bumps for several days) or at the very least do a bad job and waste a lot of time. A professional waxing usually costs about $12 and is not entirely unpleasant. It lasts at least a month, if not more. It's MUCH less annoying than plucking. I hate plucking. I don't pluck anything anymore. It either gets shaved or waxed or accepted as meant to be there. Plucking is for masochists.
I hate shaving. I wish people would just get off my back, Jack, and let me be as scruffily comfortable as I want to be. Hey, I'd even consider returning the favor.
boy, patrick gets a job and suddenly no more blogs. Mr "I'm going to take you off my list if you don't write more" hasn't posted since FRIDAY! Humph...
:o)
patrick - thanks for telling your own brother that you got a job, that is good news.
i think it would be funny if you went to your new job naked
That must be Noah.
I learn a lot on this blog.
The cats are lonely with the return to the two-career household.
why must it be Noah just because nudity is involved? anonymous feels slighted by this stereotype Sarah. ok not really. tell Patrick to email me, he is a bum
Post a Comment