I'm finding myself deflated after all this election stuff. I didn't honestly think I was that invested in Kerry, but I find myself feeling strangely helpless now. I guess I had a strange hopefulness, but I'm not sure in what. I am reminded that God always knows what's going on...even if his children don't.
I wish that I felt like Bush was truly pro-life, rather than just anti-abortion. I wish his cabinet didn't give me the creeps. I wish that conservative Christians across the country could see the world and could see history, rather than just here and now. Local moral issues are incredibly important, but not to the negligence of equally important global moral issues. Um, like war for example, or an uncounted number of civilian Iraqis as combat collateral, or the global financial oppression instigated, sponsored, and currently endorsed by the US through our loans to poor Third World nations.
Why is it so hard for most Christians (who are supposed to be the witnesses to and bearers of the revealed, relentless love of Jesus) to reconcile meeting, knowing, and loving homosexual people while maintaining that homosexual behavior is morally sinful? I think we do not know what sin is. I think we do not know what mercy is. God, please help us.
What if the solution to the problem of abortion lies not in making the act illegal, but in addressing the issues that influence women to choose abortion in the first place? Which option is filled with love? Which option hurts more and requires more of us personally? Which disallows self-righteous isolationism and condemnation?
Humanism is morally bankrupt and founded on faulty, idealist thinking.
If I could get many people to join the Socialist party with me, I think I would do it. Enough to shape it (whatever it is) into something wholesome. Or maybe the Green party. We need a strong third party in this country. One that bridges the gaps between the folly of the parties we have currently. One that could represent a true pro-life agenda, have a solid moral understanding, and love all people too. One that recognizes capitalism as being the great inequalizer. One that can vilify the juggernaut greed monster on corporate and local levels. One that recognizes that no one can serve both God and money. I know politics are never the eternal answer, but I think I might be about 50% actually into this idea. I wish I had trustworthy people to talk with about it. How about it? Anyone up for some dialogue here?
1 comment:
I'm with you on feeling deflated. I thought I was prepared for a Bush victory, despite my feeling that Kerry could and would win, but now that it's actually happened I feel almost physically sick.
I'd be in for socialism. Actually, I see myself as more of a libertarian than anything else. I think, though, that too many people see democracy and capitalism as going hand-in-hand for anything other than the current two-party system to be viable. I would love it if there were other realistic options out there. I have been known to cringe when people have said they were voting for Nader, Badnarik, etc., but secretly I wish I could have joined them. I just knew that only Kerry and Bush had realistic chances of winning, and I felt there was too much at stake in this election to throw my vote to a candidate with no chance of winning.
Post a Comment