Friday, April 29, 2005

Biz-E

That's what I have been. And 'tis the reason for my lack of posts. In addition to feeling weird for posting lighter fare posts now that I've purportedly gone all serious.

Tueday was one of the worst days I have ever had. It was bad in that way that becomes funny, because everything seems to go bad. But, it ended with cakes, and that's almost always a good thing.

First, we got a new printer at work. 13+ of us use the same printer. My computer would not print to said printer, for reasons that are even now unclear to me. I tried in vain for an hour to get it to print something that I needed for the next day. It refused. I was starting to feel very much like re-enacting the fax machine scene from Office Space. Normally not a big deal, except that with this week being as crammed full as it was, I needed to make use of all scheduled time for said scheduled activities. And the printer was not allowing me to do so.

One of my coworkers was sick and asked if I could sub for her by going to a school later that afternoon. Not having reliable transportation I was hesitant, but I agreed anyway. I tried really hard to figure out thelogistics in my head, and it seemed to work.

Sooooo, I left for my first program. I needed to drop the van off for Sarah, and my other coworker was supposed to meet me there. She got lost...fifteen minutes lost. We were supposed to be at a school watching some kids. But we weren't, so I called the school and alerted them to our impending lateness.

We were 25 minutes late, and in those 25 minutes, the principal of the middle school had been watching the kids. He was not happy, because he already had to tell them three times to be quiet. He made some threats to end our program for the rest of the year if the kids didn't shape up, then left. I tried in vain three times to get the kids to be quiet as well. Then, we left 10 minutes early because there was no other option. I sent them back to their classes (the ones they were excused from to do our program).

In the parking lot, my coworker's car battery had died. We were supposed to be leaving immediately for the program that I was supposed to be covering for my sick coworker. But instead we were calling AAA for a jump. And calling our office to alert them to our plight.

They sent some other people, and disaster was averted.

After eating lunch and returning to work, I was able to attend a small cake celebration for two coworkers' birthdays. Angelfood cake, strawberries, cool whip. Perhaps my favorite cake?

That day was a funny day.

Tomorrow I have to work at a thing called Kid Fest. It has the potential to be awful, but I will be painting faces. That will be delightful. Except that it's all overtime for me, because I attended 8 hours of defensive driving training today. I was the only one there who was not mandated to be there for an alcohol related offense. It was weird. There were two very nice mullets in the crowd, and mostly a bunch of smart-alecky 20-somethings.

No comments: