Monday, October 04, 2004

Silver bells...

We get some seriously strange donations here at the homeless shelter sometimes. Once, someone gave us 3/4 case of Miller High Life. Occasionally we get odd assortments of clothing. Recently, we got a stainless steel counter bell--the type a small shop might have to alert the cashier that a customer was ready for checkout.

I have adopted said bell, placing it within arms reach on my desk (which is also Bradley's desk). Currently, we have no other need for it here, and it would be a shame to see it head to the thrift store. It is amazing to me how such a small bell can be so amazing to me. I like the shape and feel of the little button. The striker is well balanced and has a good weight. It has a clear, consistent ring--the kind that serves its purpose, really. Though I suppose it could be argued that it has no purpose here.

My experience so far is similar to pencil-tapping: it's pleasant, even pacifying, to the person tapping it, but quite obnoxious to everyone else within earshot. I could apologize, but that would suggest I will stop ringing the bell, which I won't.

No comments: