Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Commentary for Comment

Here's something I read recently. I don't think it's great, but I do think it brings up some interesting cultural points. I wish it wasn't written with a hint of smirk (usually Colson doesn't do that), but c'est la vie. It's by Charles Colson, who heads up Prison Fellowship Ministries. Take the good, take the bad, but think about some aspect of what's being said and leave a comment. Think culturally.

A Little Late to Be Squeamish: Porn in the Mainstream

If you ever doubt that our culture is pre-occupied with sexual gratification, watch some prime-time television -- not the programs necessarily, just the commercials. Every hour, you'll see at least three or four ads for drugs that promise to let you have sex whenever you want it. As one ad says, it's unfettered sexual gratification that makes "our days our own" -- the revenge of Freud and Kinsey.

In this cultural setting, you would expect a book by a woman who embodies unfettered sexual gratification to be celebrated. But oddly you would be wrong.

The book is HOW TO MAKE LOVE LIKE A PORN STAR: A CAUTIONARY TALE by Jenna Jameson (which, I should add, neither I nor my staff have read). According to those who keep track of such things, Jameson is the biggest name in the $10 billion-a-year pornography industry.

Despite subtitling her book A CAUTIONARY TALE, Jameson is not cautious, much less apologetic, when it comes to her sexual escapades. As she writes, "My first love is sex, not acting. I'm not Meryl Streep." She denies that her career choice had anything to do with her, by all accounts, brutal childhood. She grew up without a mother in -- where else? -- Las Vegas and was raped several times. Instead, she depicts herself as the embodiment of feminist ideals: a strong, successful woman in charge of her sexuality.

Critics, however, are not buying it. The NEW YORK TIMES called it "amazing" that "a memoir that once would have won itself a plain brown wrapper can now be found beside books about Henry James." Another critic summed up Jameson as "a woman who has become rich and famous by doing on screen what most people reserve for the privacy of their bedrooms."

These are obviously valid critiques. The problem is that the people making them have no basis for their judgment of Jameson, at least not if logical and philosophical consistency makes any difference. They, like most of our cultural gatekeepers and elites, regard the sexual revolution as a good thing. They see this "revolution" as setting people free from unnecessary moral and biological restraints and allowing them to explore their sexuality more fully.

Well, it's hard to imagine a more perfect representative of these ideals than Jameson and the porn industry. Pornography represents the triumph of these ideals, a world in which sex is beyond moral judgment as long as both parties consent to the activity. And the young women who undergo plastic surgery in an attempt to more closely resemble women like Jameson are simply exercising that greatest of all values, choice.

If the TIMES and other critics are squeamish about all this, it's because they have been trying to have it both ways. They want the freedom promised by the sexual revolution, but then they don't want to deal with the consequences that inevitably flow from it. They resent Jameson for reminding them that their worldview doesn't work.

Only a worldview, you see, that regards sex as something more than a recreational, biological function can enable people to regard themselves and others as something more than means to animal gratification. This is yet another example that any other worldview than the biblical one in the end proves irrational and unlivable. And in this case, even the NEW YORK TIMES knows that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessi says: OK, fine. Here's my coment. I think Chuck Colson is generally a prudish whiner who wants the world to be less sinful so that he doesn't have to explain things to his kids like why Suzie has two mommies or why there is a triple XXX section in the video store where they rent the Left Behind Series, starring Kirk Cameron and Chealsea Noble. I, personally think we should take these things as opportunities to live differently and to have real conversations with our kids or nieces and nephews. I'm more than happy to engage about Chuck Colson's latest...but I am usually kinda critical. I think Chuck Colson comes from a theological place I don't subscribe to. He is an advocate for un-sin-ifying the world. I know there's a slippery slope argument lurking here, but I just don't buy into his way of thinking. Maybe I'm more in need of grace than he is. Maybe when I'm fifty, I'll feel differently. But for now, I say, let's all head out into the world equipped with the truth and bring it to people who are immersed in sin. We're not much different. We just have cleaner band aids covering our gaping wounds. There are two types of Christian loud mouths. The ones like Chuck Colson who bitch about the world and all the sin out there. And the kind like me who bitch about him and other "holier than thou" esque Christians who from my perspective make people afraid to hang out with anyone who calls themself a Christian. I'm not saying he's all bad. But I am saying I don't dig this perspective. Whew. There you go. You asked.

Anonymous said...

Chris says: One thing that sucks about Blogger is that I can't see Jessi's comment while I type this. Oh well. Anyway, Jenna Jameson was featured on VH1 about her life story and, while I don't necessarily recommend watching it, at the end she said that she and her husband were devout catholics, but felt that the condemnation they receive from Christian groups is judging, and we aren't supposed to judge. While I can definitely understand that the condemnation has probably been primarily mean-spirited and judgemental (instead of gentle and respectful), she is ignoring the Christian need for accountability. Whether her faith is real or not certainly isn't up to us to decide, but I certainly don't think her occupation is without sin. However, she does not engage in sexual relations with anyone other than her husband, which, while still making porn with him, is pretty cool.

The biggest concern I have is her refusal to examine the possibility that her sexuality comes from abuse. Most, if not all, serial killers (Gacy, Dahmer, etc) had a history of sexual abuse as children, and that is also true for many of the school shooters who swept the nation in the late 1990s. Traci Lords, another adult film star, came forward in her book and interviews about the rape and abuse she had suffered as a child. While there is certainly the possibility that many people, pornographers or not, simply give into hedonism and embrace sex (prime time television commercials for instance), it is much more likely that the extreme cases of pornography are products of abuse. This can especially be seen in the predatory hunt of homeless young people who are eager for food/money/drugs and are coerced into participating in pornography.

As far as sexual promiscuity being "freedom," I think that's complete hogwash. Freedom would mean control of the beast, which is rarely, if ever, seen in our society, both secular and Christian. But, now we're roaming too close to Christian buzz-words, so I'll close with a quote from U2 (whose new album is going to rock, btw): "You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed." I'm sorry I'm so longwinded.