Friday, July 23, 2004

Hiking

This evening I will be hiking with my good friend, Kevin. It will be a good time to get away from the stressful and sometimes tedious life I seem to live. Though it's really my own fault. Enough complaining.

I am interested in knowing what people think about personal change. Can we change who we are, or are we hardwired a certain way? What mix of those things? Have you had any success in changing your personality or behaviors? Have you even wanted to?

I don't feel like I've had much power to change for quite some time. "Power to change"--that doesn't sound right. Anyway, I feel like I've wanted to be a different person, but have been sliding back into "what I know." I am open to any advice, the more in-depth the better. (I don't have much tolerance for inspirational poster quotes, so if you find that's what you have, please unpack your compact ideas into something more realitic and practical.)

You can email me, or feel free to just post comments here. I might even prefer the postings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is possible to change. You have to identify the problem first and come up with a plan of action. Then you have to just do it and see what happens. This involves risk, of course...and some people are just afraid of that....we all are afraid of that in different contexts.

I am being stretched right now to think of myself in a more professional setting...I have to adapt to this and am being challenged left and right...I feel settled into a more casual, less challenging lifestyle right now, after 4 years in non profit...I don't feel prepared or ready, but I just have to bite the bullet, lern quickly as I go...it's daunting, but it's necessary for what I want to accomplish....

I think part of it has to do with entrusting yourself to the direction of someone wiser than you in the particular area....mentoring is key. Basically, find someone you have good reason to trust, and do what they say.

-jessi