Monday, July 26, 2004

Hiking Trip/Life/Friends

Kevin and I cashed in early on our trip. I confess--we bit off more than we were ready for. I don't think I've ever been that sore in my life. It felt like I had been in a fight, or had my legs run over by a truck. Next time (and there will be a next time) we will bring proper footwear, and we will be sensible when packing our packs. And I will bring a stave. It was a good time. I have the sexiest legs on earth at this point, due to the amazing conditioning of those days. (At least I had better, or else I shaved for nothing...) [end guised whining]

Ok. So. I haven't been sleeping well. (With the exception of Saturday night's return from hiking.) Life is on my mind. Not in a bad or worriesd way. It's just that it won't go away. I lay in bed and the thoughts don't turn off. They are not bad thoughts, just intrusive. [end awkward ambiguity]

I like having good friends. It is a rare and precious gift to have friends who actually KNOW who you are. I have precious few friends of that sort, who are willing to call me out when I am not being myself. Or when I am not being what I have the potential to become. What I find is that there are actually only a few people on earth who have the ability to know a person that way and the courage to say something about it. So, if you know any of those people--who like to be vulnerable and honest, have the capacity to be vulnerable and honest, and expect the same from you--then you should hang on to them dearly, even though the process is often uncomfortable and sometimes unpleasant. They will help you become a person that you should be. [end sentimentality]

[end qualifying remarks]

No comments: