Tuesday, September 27, 2005

sounding bored

I have had nothing to say. I don't like writing about how my days have been going, and I don't want to write about what other things have been going on in my life because they are either still in flux or are too personal for public consumption. I still want to swear on my blog. So I think I am going to. Shit. Swear words look different to me when written, compared to when spoken. Particularly the "F" word, which I typed, but then chickened out and erased. It seems more crass to me written. I don't want to be crass, I want to be myself. But this is not the place to be so, says wisdom.

"Punk-ass bitches" is my favorite string of swear words, when forced to exclude "pinko commie bastards". I also like the way "What the flying seventh level of hell?!" rolls off the tongue.

Yesterday I found out that a man I knew and appreciated was found dead on the street of my town late Thursday night, most likely the result of a pill & alcohol overdose. His funeral was on SUnday and his remains were cremated. This makes grieving awkward for me because I didn't know him very well, and now my avenues of closure have passed by. I'll get over it, but he was one of those guys that I was really rooting for. In those moments when I could see past his addiction, he was a really great person. I am sad that his life and the lives of many many people are dominated and controlled by addiction, and I'm not just talking about the abuse of substances.

6 comments:

paul said...

ever thought of writing his family and just saying how much you appreciated the guy?

mdog said...

being yourself and practicing discernment and restraint are two different things... but they are not mutually exclusive... are they?

and i agree about the addiction thing.

AND and, i like paul's idea. i've never thought of that.

Seth said...

"What the flying seventh level of hell?!"

I hadn't heard that one before. I like it.

greg said...

After the first half of this post I was all fired up and ready to share some of my favorite curse words, but then you bummed me out and now it seems inappropriate.

Sorry to hear about the guy. I hadn't heard anything, so it must not have been anyone I knew, which seems hard to believe.

Sarah said...

Same here, except I was going to taunt you for cursing on your blog. Try to stay on topic, huh?

It's frustrating and sad, no doubt about it. But I agree about writing his family. I think it would mean more to them than you realize.

Anonymous said...

Ditto. I feel weird addressing the swearing thing when someone died. But people die every day. And I swear every day (I would guess) so I'll just acknowledge sad, senseless death and move on to the swearing. I'm all for getting over the whole being afraid to swear thing. But I'm also for using restraint in situations where it is not appropriate or necessary. (It can be inappropriate but still necessary, but these times are occasional at most.) It's just good to get over it being "an issue." We Christians make everything that happens an issue and then we become obsessed with them and then we create another issue.