Monday, September 05, 2005

see you at the Pole

Sarah and I went to Cincinnati this weekend for our anniversary. It was one of the best times we've had in a long time, and was looong overdue. Anyway, we stayed at a nice-ish hotel and had a good time swimming and watching cable tv. On my way down to to the first floor to get some ice for our cooler Saturday morning, I was interrupted by one of the maidstaff who happened to notice that I was wearing a Polish soccer jersey. She made mention of this fact by speaking to me in Polish. Without a greeting in English. She, in fact, was a native Pole, working in the American hotel. It was a dream come true, except it was a nightmare...because I don't speak Polish. See, my grandparents came off the boat from Poland. The other side of my family is also almost entirely comprised of ex-Poles. In fact, I'm 7/8ths Polish, 1/8th Irish. A good mix, really, (lots of potatoes and cabbage) but irrelevant. The point is that I have hoped and planned at some point in my life to learn to speak Polish and to have a real, live conversation in Polish with a real, live Pole. And now I've blown my one opportunity. It was handed to me, in a natural setting on a silver platter and I wasn't prepared. I kicked myself all day for it. Sigh.

In other news, you should go see the Newport Aquarium near Cinci. I went through it three times in one day(it was that good), and I think I would live there, if they'd let me. I was awestruck (as usual). If someone asked me to prove to them that there is a God, I would take them to an aquarium.

ps: my apologies to commenters, but from now on you'll have to go through a safety check to post comments (to make sure you're human). Please don't let this stop you. I just figured that you were probably already getting enough ads for boner pills in your email, so you probably didn't need the ones that were showing up on my blog comments section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boner pills.....nicely put.

Monsterbeard said...

Polish, I never knew. That's a really great story though. Maybe you will return to that hotel after learning Polish and be able to converse about... sausage? Sorry.

Once during my freshman year, my friends and I were walking to IGA when a hitchhiking guy asked us how to get to some road. We didn't know because we were new. But my friend was wearing a shirt that said "Amsterdam" and the guy pointed to it and said "You been there, man?" And we said no. And as he walked away he said "Smoke more pot, man!" If only international relations were so easy.

Let's meet up at the C-bus zoo someday. I love anything where I can stare at animals all day for a small fee.