If you have 5-15 minutes, check out this website. Then come back and post your thoughts. This is a topic that interests and concerns me, but one that I feel inadequately unknowledgeable about. (How's them for big words?) Maybe that "unknowledge" is what perpetuates and enables the cycle and system. That's my theory anyway. What's your take?
(ps: Thanks to my brother Noah for sending me to the site.)
4 comments:
I think it's hard to be knowlegeable about fair trade, because it's a topic that's so under the radar, despite the positive changes it could effect -- I've tried to provide some info about fair trade coffee on my blog, but that's only the tip of the iceberg.
Fair trade seems to get more complicated the more I learn about it. I know enough about it to know I'd like to see more of it -- especially in contrast to things like CAFTA -- but I think part of the reason fair trade has yet to tap into the mainstream is that its ideas and efforts are difficult to explain in short soundbytes -- which makes it difficult to garner popular support.
I wonder if there's a way to get the message out without "dumbing down" what fair trade tries to do --
My friend is a big fair trade guy and is well studied on the subject, I will try to get him to post on this blog some info on it.
I too am just beginning to learn about it. The statistics seem staggering. I'd like to know what options are out there to purchase things via a fair trade system.
It does seem quite "unfair" that the USA has hoarded so many resources at the extreme expense of others, yet we don't seem to care as long as we are the ones winning.
i also heard about this "ONE" campaign with the slogan of "the campaign to make poverty history" - found it through the fair trade site
website is www.one.org and is related to www.whiteband.org
again, not sure about either, wondering if anyone else has any info on the good and the bad of it. ONE seemed like a trendy celeb thing based on their website...I also saw references to it on Switchfoot site and Brian McLaren's site. It could be something to get behind, I just don't have enough info yet
This doesn't have anything to do with fair trade, but I think you'll enjoy it none the less, Patrick: picture
Post a Comment