Saturday, January 05, 2008

A deliberately delicate and daunting decision

Just go along with it. Because you have to, the story says so.

You are approached by an omnipotent being, who tells you that you, and only you, must make a decision. You must choose a specific group of people, using categorization of your choosing, except age. All of these people will instantly die, with no mistakes and no exceptions. You cannot delay your decision. What group do you choose?

Think of your answer before you go poking around at whatever comments might already be on this post. Post your own answer.

9 comments:

paul said...

All people about to die within the next second.

Anonymous said...

Well that's probably the best answer. I was going to say all people named Bill O'Reilly who have their own show on Fox. Kidding. Mostly.

mdog said...

political fanatics.

Kevin said...

Billionaire's

paul said...

Why would you want to kill billionaires? Are they somehow less worthy of life?

Kevin said...

No. I just wonder what would happen to all the wealth.

Patrick said...

Sp far I like Kevin's answer best, but that's also because he gave a reason for his answer. I'd like to hear Maria's reasoning, as well as if there what degree of fanaticism would be required.

I think I'd pick ...I don't know who I'd pick. That's why I asked you guys. My mind goes to some kind of criminal. Murderers? Rapists? But I think what I'd lean towards would be Sociopaths--people whose consciences and sense of morality cannot be resuscitated.

Of course none of these people deserve to die. That isn't really the point--it's more about who you are and why you would choose what you chose, if you were allowed an omnipotent judgment. Self-exploration, if you will. You know, because we judge all the time anyway, we just can't kill people. ;P

(By the way, Sarah also tried to skirt the issue, the way Paul did. That's why the age stipulation was applied. Paul found another way to cheat the question.) :D

Also, when I was in high school and parts of college, I would judge people who had expensive brand name clothing, because I was subconsciously coveting it. I would have spent a wish to have all the Tommy Hilfiger and American Eagle (or whattever) in the whole world turn into black india ink all at the same time. Would be funny, gotta admit.

mdog said...

i think i posted mine as an immediate reaction to jessi's post. in reality i think my reasoning for it is the same as yours regarding sociopaths.

imagine a governmental system where everyone thought for themselves and every issue was not polarizing. hmmm.

i was thinking the other day, you know what i would really love? if a presidential candidate chose someone from the 'other' party as a running mate. the whole of american politics would implode in onto itself.

Anonymous said...

OOh - Maria, I was thinking that too - like if Obama won the nomination and say, Huckabee won the republican nomination, and then Obama chose McCain as his running mate. I wonder if some crazy radical right wingers would try to assasinate the president if such a thing happened...I wonder what would happen - would it actually shake things up? I think it might. Obama is just maybe interesting enough to make a move like that though. Who WOULD he pick...I am not sure how much the VP really matters to people. Imagine if Obama picked Edwards and they won - the VP actually being what appears to be a NICE person, unlike the last 8 years. Ugh.