Take your pick. I don't think I really ever learned the difference.
As you may know, I now work in prevention. That means, I try to prevent things from happening. Specific things, such as the prevention of alcohol, drug, and tobacco use by children. My coworkers all work in prevention as well. As such, the campus upon which our prevention offices are located (the psych hospital building, remember?) will be going completely "tobacco-free" in July. That means smoking won't be allowed anywhere on the property, not even if you go smoke in your car in the parking lot. As such, my workplace is launching a help program to help smokers quit in advance of the prescribed smoking ban.
This is all well and good, except that my boss keeps calling it a "sensation" program. She means, of course, "cessation." But, she keeps talking about the tobacco sensation program. She mentioned the tobacco sensation program several times in staff meeting today, in relation to any smokers who might want to take advantage of the tobacco sensation programs that will soon be offered. Needless to say, talking about any sort of sensation--but particularly an incorrect sort of one--makes it hard for me to keep a straight face in a staff meeting. Particularly when it's a 2-hour-turned-3-hour meeting which could have been a productive one, had the necessary preparations been done outside, rather than inside, the meeting.
3 comments:
find a nice, private way to tell her. don't let people make fun of her... she is your boss.
If she continues doing it, I'll certainly do that. I get the sense, however, that it won't matter: it seems like a regional dialect thing, similar to how some folks say "traysure" to mean treasure or "Warshington" to mean Washington. We'll see. And actually, I'm not sure anyone else noticed...so I guess I was the ony jerk making fun of her! : P
just THINK of all the posters and banners that could be developed for the program. "it's a tobacco sensation!"
but, uh, yeah. i guess maybe you should tell her. eh.
Post a Comment